The LGBTQ+ Alliance Fund was formed in 1999, when the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona applied for and was awarded a two-year, $100,000 challenge grant from the National Lesbian and Gay Community Funding Partnership.
The Fund was established to expand funding opportunities and resources for LGBTQ+ organizations in Tucson and rural southern Arizona (Pima, Cochise and Santa Cruz counties) and to create linkages with straight allies.
Our grants have supported diverse programs such as:
- Habitat for Humanity’s Rainbow Build
- Planned Parenthood’s Teen Advisory Group
- Bisbee Pride Celebration
- Tucson International Jewish Film Festival, Tucson Jewish Community Center
- KXCI, Out Loud!
- Let’s Get Better Together Conference, LGBT Behavioral Health Coalition
- Project Visibility, cultural competency training for staff of assisted living facilities, Pima Council on Aging
- Amig@s de Mariposa, Mariposa Sin Fronteras
- Annual Sex and Scholarship Symposium organized by the University of Arizona’s Committee on Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual Studies
The ACLU is grateful for this opportunity from the Alliance Fund to help engage an important segment of our community in securing the freedom to marry. The couples, business leaders and policymakers we identified as a result of this project will serve as key allies during the next legislative session when we expect to see another wave of anti-gay religious refusal laws attempting to codify discrimination.— ACLU Foundation for Arizona