It’s almost time to register for the 2023 African American Leadership Institute in Southern Arizona.
This year, we will be providing two information sessions on the entire AALI process!
The African American Leadership Institute is committed to the individual development of African American leaders to increase African American participation in key civic, political, and workforce-related leadership roles.
AALI leverages collective power to promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth in our Black communities. We do this by increasing the number of African American leaders and broadening the community’s awareness of a wider pool of capable, civic-minded African American professionals.
- AALI foregrounds the role culture plays in leadership development and attainment.
- Our curriculum is designed to build on participants’ strengths and life experiences, promoting personal and professional development with authentic expressions of identity and practical visions for advancing Black representation in positions of influence across Arizona.
- The Institute also sparks critical conversations about the state-wide diversity and inclusion gaps. Through education, reflection, and networking, participants identify solutions for building racial equity in their communities and workplaces.
Our theme for AALI programming in 2023 is Afrofuturism, a cultural movement that investigates the intersection of race, technology, and science while being inspired by legends and cosmologies from Africa and the diaspora. This theme will be touched on in a two day-long Leadership Retreat and applied to weekly sessions.
Presentations, discussions, and exercises inspired by Afrofuturism will encourage participants to reflect on how their perceptions of the future influence the future they set out to create, will provoke conversations about justice-oriented experimentation, and will guide conversations on how to move forward together with the resources at hand to contribute to a liberated future where we live in right relationship with nature, each other, and ourselves.
Upon graduating from the Institute, AALI participants have a deeper understanding of the dynamics around culture and race across Arizona’s history and how these dynamics manifest in key sectors today. They will also come away with actionable steps to build Black leadership in themselves and their networks.
Masterclasses will be held weekly from 6:00 to 9:00 PM, beginning October 5, 2023, and ending December 7th, 2023, at the Community Foundation Campus in Tucson, and this year’s Institute officially kicks off with a Phoenix retreat on October 7th. Tuition is $1,000 and includes all required materials, supplies, meals, and snacks.
Applications for the 2023 institute are due on September 15th, 2023, at 11:59 PM. No late submissions will be accepted.
- AALI 2023 Application Open: August 1, 2023
- AALI 2023 Application Deadline: September 15, 2023
- Weekly Sessions: Thursdays beginning October 5th, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM at the Community Foundation Campus
- Leadership Retreats: Saturday, October 7, 2023 (Phoenix) and Saturday, November 18, 2023 (Tucson)
- Graduation Ceremony: Saturday, December 9, 2023, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM at the Community Foundation Campus
For additional questions, please contact email@example.com.