Pima Alliance for Animal Welfare (PAAW), an initiative of the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona, is working to ensure all Pima County companion animals have a loving home and humane care. Through its Human Animal Bond subcommittee, PAAW helps identify, establish, and share services that will help community members better care for their pets.
One of the ways the Human Animal Bond subcommittee supports this goal is by sharing a monthly list of free and reduced-cost resources compiled by No Kill Pima County.
Click here to download a printable PDF with May’s pet resource specials, including eligibility and pricing.
Pet Resource Special for May 2023
Asavet Free or Low-Cost Spay & Neuter Clinics:
- Asavet Low Cost Spay/Neuter | May 3rd | Sponsored by AWASA |$15 co-pay or $5 with proof of government assistance | 2 pets max per household | 8:00 AM check-in for first 30 pets | Three Points | Fire Station 303- 10351 S. Sasabe Rd | Vaccines for surgery patients only (not a vaccine clinic): $20 DAPP/PRC, $18 rabies and e-collar required for males 5 months and older or at vet’s discretion $15 | Pima County residents, 3 Points area preferred, not Marana, Sahuarita or rescues | Sign in and remain in your car until your number is called.
- Asavet FREE Spay/Neuter | May 6th | 8:00 AM check-in for first 30 dogs and 20 cats | Santa Cruz Vet Clinic | 5408 S. 12th Ave | Vaccines for surgery patients only (not a vaccine clinic): $20 DAPP/PRC, $18 rabies and e-collar required for males 4 mos and older $15 | Sign in and remain in your car until your number is called.
- Asavet Low-Cost Spay/Neuter | May 10th | 8:00 AM check-in | The Animal League of Green Valley | 1600 W Dural Mine Rd, Green Valley, AZ | $40 COPAY | Free Vaccines for surgery patients only (not a vaccine clinic) | Litters under 5 months – $10/per animal (if Mom is spayed at the same time) | Annual limit 3 pets per household.
For all Asavet Spay/Neuter Events:
- No food after 12 am (the morning of surgery)
- Pets under 5 months of age do not need to have fasted
- All dogs must be on a lease or in the pet carrier
- All cats must be in a pet carrier
- All pets must be a minimum of 2 months old and weigh 2 pounds
- No appointments, only first come, first served
Other Spay and Neuter Services
- Smiling Dog Rescue Snip-A-Pit | FREE spay & neuter for pit bulls and pit bull mixes owned by low-income residents of Pima County, AZ | Call 520-745-4564, ask for Liz or Tammi to set up your appointment.
- Monday – Friday Throughout May| Santa Cruz Veterinary Clinic | 5408 S. 12th Free Community Cat Trap Neuter Return | Check-in is from 9 am to 11 am | Blackout Dates – Call 520-889-9643 for info/updates.
- May 10th and May 24th | Drive thru 4:00 to 5:00 pm| Pathways For Paws | Free Parvo/Distemper vaccines and $15 microchips | 2035 E. 17th St. | Microchip includes free registration, rabies not available (required for licensing). First come, first serve.
- May 21st | Drive thru 11am to noon| Pathways For Paws | Free Parvo/Distemper vaccines and $15 microchips | 6363 N. Sanders. | Microchip includes free registration, rabies not available (required for licensing). First come, first serve.
Pet Food Assistance:
- Cody’s Friends offers free food for pets and community cats year-round. See the full list of pet food resources and programs here.
- Mobile Meals of Southern Arizona Pet Food Program provides clients enrolled in this service with one delivery of pet food each month. Contact Mobile Meals to learn more here.
Additional Outreach and Support:
- Additional information on other sources of support for free or low-cost resources may be found at pets.findhelp.com
- Always check the No Kill Pima County website for the most up-to-date information and a full directory of everyday low-cost options as well as free and reduced-cost pet resources. Click the links below to learn more about each category: Spay & Neuter | Clinics, Vaccines & Dental | Financial Assistance | Emergency Housing | Re-Homing Assistance | Pet Training | Lost Pet | Pet-Friendly Housing