Launching on April 22, 2022, the Nonprofit Solar Project was developed by the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona (CFSA) in partnership with local donors and Solar United Neighbors (SUN).
As part of CFSA’s Environmental Sustainability Impact Fund, the Nonprofit Solar Project offers local nonprofits the opportunity to meet a significant portion of their energy needs through solar power. Through the switch to solar, nonprofits will be able to reduce their carbon footprint and energy costs, freeing up resources for programming or other infrastructure needs.
Interested in learning more about the Nonprofit Solar Project?
- Friday, April 22: Application Opens
- Tuesday, May 27: Application Closes at 5:00 PM MST
- April to June: Application Review and Applicant Site Visits (on a rolling basis)
- Thursday, June 30, 2022: Grantees Selected
- Installation will occur based on each individual grantee’s project
- Interested nonprofit organizations will apply through Common Grant Application, CFSA’s grant portal.
- Applications open on Friday, April 22, 2022, and will close at 5:00 PM MST on Tuesday, May 27, 2022.
- Applications will be reviewed for both installation eligibility and selection criteria. Approved organizations will move forward to the next stage of the decision process.
- CFSA and SUN will conduct site visits with applicants to determine project costs and commitments.
- A Community Review Committee will then make final recommendations for organization selection.
- Selected organizations will work with SUN to identify their preferred solar installer to complete the installation.
- Already have a Common Grant account? Login to start an application.
- Don’t have a Common Grant account? Sign up to open an account and start an application.
- Applicant must be a 501(c)(3) in good standing, conducting charitable work in Pima County.
- Applicant must have local leadership (in Pima County, AZ) in the form of a board of directors or advisory committee, local financial support, and local program management and accountability. In the case of nationally sponsored organizations, no portion of the grant can be used to support the national, state, or regional entity.
- The proposed installation must directly benefit people living in Pima County.
- Grants are generally not made to individuals, for-profit organizations, government entities, capital fund drives, agency endowments, debt reduction, individual schools, religious organizations for sectarian purposes, or pure sports teams. Please note schools with 501c3 status may apply and individual colleges within universities may apply using their foundation as the agent.
- Must be property owner where the installation will be located. Please contact David Gardner at email@example.com for clarification on eligibility.
- A minimum of 200 square feet of unobstructed roof or ground space must be available for solar installation.
- The applicant’s roof must have a remaining lifespan of at least 15 years and not be covered by slate or Spanish clay tile (concrete is okay).
- Awards made by CFSA’s grant committees support organizations that do not discriminate in their employment practices, volunteer opportunities, or delivery of programs and services on the basis of Race, Religion, Gender or Gender Identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), Gender Expression, Sexual Orientation, Age, Ancestry, Citizenship, Ethnicity, Familial Status, Socioeconomic Status (economic circumstances), Color, Creed, Sex (including pregnancy), Phases of Parenthood, National Origin, Marital Status, Veteran Status (past, current or prospective service in the armed forces), Genetic Information, Physical Characteristics or Appearance, Mental or Physical Disability, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
- 501c3 Determination Letter
- List of Current Board of Directors (must include name, email, title, city, number of years on the board)
- Click here to download the board template.
- List of Current Key Staff (must include name, email, title, city, and number of years employed)
- Click here to download the staff template.
- Balance Sheet (Assets and Liabilities) for the most recently completed fiscal year (Example: ending June 2021 OR December 2020)
- Profit and Loss Statement (Income and Expense) for the most recently completed fiscal year (Example: ending June 2021 OR December 2020)
- Applicant’s approved organizational budget for the current fiscal year
- Optional: Past 12 months of electric bills (in one document)
For general project questions, please contact David Gardner, Program Manager, at 520-382-9203 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For technical questions, please contact Solar United Neighbors at email@example.com.