The Hellene Henrikson Fund of the Lutheran Church of the Foothills awards grants to nonprofit organizations with programs that address areas of focus selected by the Lutheran Church of the Foothills each year. The Hellene Henrikson Fund is a donor advised fund founded and administered by the Lutheran Church of the Foothills in Tucson through a gift from Hellene Henrikson at her passing in 2018.
Hellene was a longtime member at Lutheran Church of the Foothills. Throughout her life, Hellene generously supported her church as well as many other non-profit organizations in the Tucson area. She wished that her generosity would continue after her passing and now it does so through the work of this Fund.
Fall 2021 Grant Round
Focus Area for Grant Funding
For the Fall 2021 grant solicitation being funded by the Hellene Henrikson Fund of the Lutheran Church of the Foothills, the area of focus is organizations that are working to combat food insecurity. According to the US Department of Agriculture, food insecurity is defined as “the limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate and safe foods or limited or uncertain ability to acquire acceptable foods in socially acceptable ways.”
Fall 2021 Grant Round
The Hellene Henrikson Fund of the Lutheran Church of the Foothills is inviting nonprofit organizations to submit an application for up to $15,000 total (direct and indirect) for the Fall 2021 grant solicitation. This cap represents a guide. The request should be for the amount required, and requests for more than this amount will be considered. A total of $75,000 will be granted, with the objective of funding 3 to 6 applications.
Basic Eligibility Requirements:
- The applicant must be a 501(c)(3) in good standing, based in and doing charitable work in Southern Arizona, specifically Pima County, Santa Cruz County, Cochise County.
- The organization must have local leadership in the form of a board of directors or advisory committee, local financial support, and local program management and accountability. In the case of nationally sponsored organizations, no portion of the grant can be used to support the national, state, or regional entity.
- Grants are generally not made to individuals, for-profit organizations, government entities, capital fund drives, agency endowments, individual schools, or for sectarian purposes.
- Organizations will not be eligible to reapply until the next grant solicitation.
- One of the guiding principles of the Hellene Henrikson Fund of the Lutheran Church of the Foothills and the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona is to honor the rich diversity of our community and to promote equal opportunities for all people. Awards made by the foundation’s various grant panels support organizations that do not discriminate in their employment practices, volunteer opportunities or delivery of programs and services on the basis of Race, Religion, Gender or Gender Identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), Gender Expression, Sexual orientation, Age, Ancestry, Citizenship, Ethnicity, Familial Status, Socioeconomic Status (economic circumstances), Color, Creed, Sex (including pregnancy), Phases of Parenthood, National Origin, Marital Status, Veteran Status (past, current or prospective service in the armed forces), Genetic Information, Physical Characteristics or Appearance, Mental or Physical Disability, Any other status prohibited by applicable law.
Priority will be given to organizations that:
- Have involved staff, volunteers, and current/potential participants in the planning and implementation of the proposed program.
- Can clearly articulate the outcomes the program/participants will achieve and be able to collect the data to demonstrate measurable progress toward the accomplishment of those outcomes.
- Can provide a clear description of plans to sustain the organization and/or program beyond the grant period.
Funding Period and Timeline:
- The grant request period should be one year, from Dec 1, 2021 to Nov 30, 2022.
- Solicitation period August 30, 2021 to September 24, 2021.
- Deadline for submitting applications is September 24, 2021 by 5:00 PM MST, through Common Grant Application.
Common Grant Application:
How to Apply Tutorial: