Pima Alliance for Animal Welfare (PAAW), an initiative of the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona, is working to ensure all Pima County companion animals have a loving home and humane care. Through its Human Animal Bond subcommittee, PAAW helps identify, establish, and share services that will help community members better care for their pets.
One of the ways the Human Animal Bond subcommittee supports this goal is by sharing a monthly list of free and reduced-cost resources compiled by No Kill Pima County.
Click here to download a printable PDF with July’s pet resource specials, including eligibility and pricing.
Pet Resource Special for July 2023
Free/Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Events
Asavet Free or Low-Cost Spay & Neuter Clinics:
- Asavet Low-Cost Spay/Neuter | July 5th | 8 AM check-in | VFW Post 10254 10111 S. Sasabe Rd | $30 co-pay or $5 co-pay with proof of government assistance | Sponsored by AWASA | 2 pets per household limit, 30 pets for the day limit | Optional vaccines (with surgery) DAPP/PRC $20, Rabies $18, E-collar required on male dogs 5 months and older or vets discretion $15 | Pima County residents, 3 Points area preferred, not Marana or Sahuarita or rescues | Remain in car until check-in table is ready
- Asavet Free Spay/Neuter | July 8th | 8 AM check-in (do not arrive early, remain in car, do not line up) | Santa Cruz Clinic | 5408 S. 12th Ave | First 30 dogs and 20 cats | Optional vaccines (with surgery) DAPP/PRC $20, Rabies $18, E-collar required on male dogs 5 months and older | Pima County Residents | Sponsored by Arizona Pet Plate grant
- Asavet Low-Cost Spay/Neuter | July 12th | 8 AM check-in | The Animal League of Green Valley | 1600 W Dural Mine Rd, Green Valley, AZ | $40 COPAY | Free Vaccines for surgery patients only (not a vaccine clinic) | Litters under 5 months – $10/per animal (if Mom is spayed at the same time) | Annual limit 3 pets per household.
- Asavet Free Spay/Neuter – CATS ONLY | July 22nd | 8 AM check-in (do not arrive early, remain in car, do not line up) | Santa Cruz Clinic | 5408 S. 12th Ave | Will be accepting feral cats in safe traps, must be able to keep in trap overnight after surgery | Optional vaccines (with surgery) PRC $20, Rabies $18 | All cats must be in carrier, 1 cat per carrier | Pima County Residents | Sponsored by Arizona Pet Plate grant
For all Asavet Spay/Neuter Events:
- No food after 12 am (the morning of surgery).
- Pets under 5 months of age do not need to have fasted.
- All dogs must be on a leash or in a pet carrier.
- All cats must be in a pet carrier.
- All pets must be a minimum of 2 months old and weigh 2 pounds.
- No appointments, only first come, first serve.
- Monday – Friday Throughout July | Santa Cruz Veterinary Clinic | 5408 S. 12th | Free Community Cat Trap Neuter Return | Check-in is from 9 AM to 11 AM | Blackout Dates (No drop off): July 4, 6, 13, and cats dropped off on 7/3 must be picked up the same day – Call 520-889-9644 for information/updates.
- July 1st and 2nd | Drive thru 8 am to noon | Free Microchips DOGS ONLY | Kino Sports Complex | 2500 E Ajo Way | Presented by Pima Animal Care Center
- July 2nd | Drive thru 9 AM to 10 AM | Pathways For Paws | Parvo/Distemper vaccines and $15 microchips | 6363 N. Sanders, Picture Rocks | Microchip includes free registration, rabies not available (required for licensing). First come, first serve.
- July 5th and July 19th | Drive thru 4 PM to 5 PM | Pathways For Paws | Parvo/Distemper vaccines and $15 microchips | 2035 E. 17th St. | Microchip includes free registration, rabies not available (required for licensing). First come, first serve.
- July 8th | Drive thru 8 AM to 9 AM | Pathways For Paws | Parvo/Distemper vaccines and $15 microchips | 13105 E. Colossal Cave Rd Vail. | Microchip includes free registration, rabies not available (required for licensing). First come, first serve.
Pet Food Assistance:
- Cody’s Friends offers free food for pets and community cats year-round. See the full list of pet food resources and programs here.
- Mobile Meals of Southern Arizona Pet Food Program provides clients enrolled in this service with one delivery of pet food each month. Contact Mobile Meals to learn more here.
Additional Outreach and Support:
- Additional information on other sources of support for free or low-cost resources may be found at pets.findhelp.com
- Always check the No Kill Pima County website for the most up-to-date information and a full directory of everyday low-cost options as well as free and reduced-cost pet resources. Click the links below to learn more about each category: Spay & Neuter | Clinics, Vaccines & Dental | Financial Assistance | Emergency Housing | Re-Homing Assistance | Pet Training | Lost Pet | Pet-Friendly Housing