Thank you so much for your engagement and amazing energy at CFSA’s recent event, Trust-Based Philanthropy: Strategies To Increase Impact In Your Giving.
We are extremely grateful to our nonprofit panelists – Emma Torres from Campesinos Sin Fronteras, Ed Sakwa from Emerge Center Against Domestic Abuse, and Michael Martinez from Live Theatre Workshop – for their thoughtful responses and insights into the benefits of trust-based philanthropy for nonprofit organizations and the communities they serve.
Please click here to view the presentation slides from the Trust-Based Philanthropy event The event program is also available to view.
We also invite you to learn more about our CORE Donor Collaborator Program. Applications for CORE Grants 2023 will open on November 7, 2022.
As part of our learning journey, CFSA has been reading research and resources related to trust-based philanthropy and grantmaking. We have collected several of those resources below for your convenience.
If you know of any additional research, guides, or presentations related to trust-based philanthropy that we should consider adding to this page, please email Tamara McKinney.
Thank you again for joining us on this journey.
Trust-Based Philanthropy Project
The Trust-Based Philanthropy Project is a five-year, peer-to-peer funder initiative to address the inherent power imbalances between foundations and nonprofits. The project’s website contains articles, research, and resources about Trust-Based Philanthropy.
- The 6 Grantmaking Practices of Trust-Based Philanthropy
- The 5 Myths of Traditional Grantmaking
- Skeptic’s Corner: FAQs About Trust-Based Philanthropy
- Trust-Based Philanthropy in 4D
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations is a community of funders committed to transforming philanthropic culture and practice by connecting members to the resources and relationships needed to support thriving nonprofits and communities.
- Centering Equity through Flexible, Reliable Funding
- Reimagining Capacity Building Navigating Culture, Systems & Power
Open Road Alliance
Established in 2012, Open Road Alliance is a philanthropic initiative that serves the social sector by Keeping Impact on Track in an unpredictable world. Open Road provides short-term solutions by disbursing fast grants and loans to nonprofits and social enterprises facing discrete, unexpected roadblocks during project implementation. It also conducts research and advocates for the adoption of long-term, system-wide risk management practices across the social sector.
Additional Resources & Related Research
- How Philanthropy Can Support Systems-Change Leaders, Lija Farnham, Emma Nothmann, Zoe Tamaki, Nate Harding, Cora Daniels, The Bridgespan Group, January 2021.
- New Attitudes, Old Practices: The Provision of Multiyear General Operating Support, Ellie Buteau, Satia Marotta, Hannah Martin, Naomi Orensten, and Kate Gehling, Center for Effective Philanthropy, October 2020.
- The holy grail of funding: Why and how foundations give unrestricted funding, Liz Firth, Ben Cairns, and Richard Hopgood, Institute for Voluntary Action Research, November 2021.