The South32 Hermosa Community Fund, a fund of the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona and its geographic affiliate, the Santa Cruz Community Foundation, supports nonprofit organizations based in Santa Cruz County. Supported areas include education and leadership, economic participation, good health and social wellbeing, and natural resource resilience.
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. The South32 Hermosa project is located in the northern section of the Patagonia Mountains in Santa Cruz County. The project is approximately six miles south of the town of Patagonia, 50 miles southeast of Tucson, and 15 miles northeast of Nogales, Arizona. The company’s purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources and improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
Since its inception, the South32 Hermosa Community Fund has awarded 70 grants totaling $587,450.
Up to $80,000 will be available each cycle; requests up to $10,000 will be considered. Only one application will be accepted per organization per fiscal year (unless approved by S32 Fund). The next cycle is scheduled to open on January 9, 2023. Organizations will not be eligible to reapply until the current grant and reporting are completed.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- The applicant must be a 501(c)(3) in good standing, based in and doing charitable work in Santa Cruz County.
- The organization must have local leadership in the form of a board of directors or advisory committee, local financial support, and local program management and accountability. In the case of nationally sponsored organizations, no portion of the grant can be used to support the national, state, or regional entity.
- The proposed program must directly benefit people living in Santa Cruz County.
- Grants are generally not made to individuals, for-profit organizations, government entities, capital fund drives, agency endowments, individual schools, or for sectarian purposes.
- Organizations will not be eligible to reapply until the current grant cycle and reporting are completed.
- One of the guiding principles of the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona is to honor the rich diversity of our community and promotes equal opportunities for all people. Awards made by CFSA’s grant panels support organizations that do not discriminate in their employment practices, volunteer opportunities, or delivery of programs and services on the basis of Race, Religion, Gender or Gender Identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), Gender Expression, Sexual orientation, Age, Ancestry, Citizenship, Ethnicity, Familial Status, Socioeconomic Status (economic circumstances), Color, Creed, Sex (including pregnancy), Phases of Parenthood, National Origin, Marital Status, Veteran Status (past, current or prospective service in the armed forces), Genetic Information, Physical Characteristics or Appearance, Mental or Physical Disability, Any other status prohibited by applicable law.
Priority will be given to organizations that:
- Are working collaboratively with other agencies in the planning and implementation of the project.
- Have involved staff, volunteers, and current/potential participants in the planning and implementation of the proposed program.
- Enable individuals to identify, contribute and enhance their skills, abilities, capacities, and assets, focusing on strengths rather than problems or deficiencies.
- Can clearly articulate the outcomes the program/participants will achieve and be able to collect the data to demonstrate measurable progress toward the accomplishment of those outcomes.
- Can provide a clear description of plans to sustain the organization or program beyond the grant period.
Other Important Dates:
- Site visits will be scheduled as needed with agencies.
- Please email Enedina Miller at email@example.com with questions
- All grantees will be required to submit a final report at the end of the grant cycle or project completion.
Contact Kelly Huber, Vice President for Philanthropy, at (520) 209-2858 or firstname.lastname@example.org.