The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Straight (LGBT&S) Alliance Fund, a program of the Community Foundation of Southern Arizona, is pleased to announce the launch of its latest competitive grant round. Agencies in Southern Arizona may submit applications to the Alliance Fund for grant requests up to $5,000. The deadline is March 2, 2015 by 5:00 PM.
“The Alliance Fund has been making grants since 2000 and we are always humbled and amazed by the great work going on in our community,” said Sylvia Mulka, Grant Chair. “We are looking forward to another successful year.”
The grant awards are intended to fund efforts to help underserved youth and adults, and to promote the integration of LGBT issues within the straight community. Projects should address at least one of five areas of interest:
- Youth and Youth-Parent Issues: Increasing support for LGBT individuals and their parents/families
- Human Services Issues: Improving health care, and access to substance abuse treatment and social services
- Political Advocacy & Involvement: Educating legislators and working for changes that promote civil rights for all
- Education Issues: Educating both the LGBT and larger community about inclusion and acceptance
- LGBT Community Infrastructure: Giving organizations the tools they need to be effective
“The grant round is the most important thing we do all year. Our donor’s money helps fuel local organizations to make necessary social change.” said Kristen Birner, Board Chair.
The Fund has become known for making grants to organizations at critical times during their development and helping to pilot some innovative activities. Since its inception, the Fund has awarded more than 100 grants to over 40 different organizations totaling a half-million dollars. As a result, the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona has made the Honor Role put together annually by Funders for LGBTQ Issues ranking them among the top 94 foundation in the country.